Sunday, July 4, 2010

Little Miss Independent

In honor of Independence Day here’s a snippet of one of the stories I wrote when I was 14.

“While we walked, I couldn’t help thinking about the first time I met Gary. I remember it was in first grade. Gary had just moved in up the street and was in my class. When I got home that first day I saw him, I asked if I could go over to his house. My Mom and Dad were going out and wanted me to stay around the house, so I said OK. It really wasn’t though. After they left, I walked up the street to Gary’s house.”

Hahaha….yep, even back then I was an independent little thing; figured I knew best. But my parents disagreed. Later, when I snuck home I got spanked and then grounded for a week. It didn’t stop me though. When I was a teenager I used to sneak out to meet “Gary” after my parents fell asleep. (Mom, if you’re reading this….hehe… sorry).

Happy Independence Day! It was another gorgeous day! We tried and tried to have company over, but nobody could come. Next year I’m going to plan a couple months in advance because I know there must be SOMEBODY out there who would want to come over, whether they are friends with my husband or not, whether they go to my church or not, whether they eat red meat or not. lol I could grill some fish I suppose! But I have to say, the ribs turned out great! Everyone loved them.

My wonderful son, Ryan, came back from Creation today. It feels good to have him home again for a while (4 days) before he leaves again. We’ve been having a lot of fun together!

Had to clip low-hanging branches for high-flying birdies.

After all the years of having a swamp for a back yard, we finally have a nice yard to play in!!! Thank you for all your hard work, Darryl!

Kyle ripping up the court.

Ryan showing us a dance move from Creation.

The main course.

Our tomatoes and cayenne peppers are doing great for a change! Here’s Kyle on our pathway to the tent. We slept in there last night, and going to again tonight (Ryan too!). lol


Thank God for the freedom we still have in this country to go to church, to pray, and read our Bibles. We don’t know how long it will last, but ultimately we know that God is just and sovereign. Whatever happens in the USA is in His hands. One day soon, Jesus will call us away from this planet and we will be with Him forever.

John 8:36
Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

No comments: