Tuesday, April 12, 2011

the lost coin, sheep, daughter...

At church on Sunday we were asked for prayer requests and praise reports. Hmm...I wondered if Ethan was a praise item. I said, “Well, I think this is a blessing”. And I proceeded to tell them about my first grandchild. The reason I said “I think” is because of the situation the baby comes into. Not having a father is bad enough, but he also doesn’t have grandparents (except for 1 in Maine). But each baby is a blessing from God. Some come into better homes and circumstances than others, but that’s not the baby’s fault. I will try not to be judgmental as to having a child deliberately without the Dad, but it’s hard to hold my thoughts inside. I might not have been the greatest role model when I was younger, but I was a single mom, alone!! I worked full time at any job I could get just so I could afford to buy spaghetti-o’s and hot dogs!! I never owned a home, and struggled to have a car and an appt. When I was in my 30’s I still lived in a dumpy 1 bedroom apartment when I wasn't living with my parents. Why on earth would the child I raised as a single mom do the exact same thing to her child? Isn’t my life enough of a reason not to?!

Since I made the analogy of the prodigal son, my pastor brought to my attention that there are other parables I could take wisdom from. How about the one with the woman who swept out her house looking for the 1 lost coin? Why? Because it was precious. Or the one where the shepherd goes out and looks for his 1 lost sheep? Why? Because it was also precious. OK, so I wasn’t thinking about those, because seriously, I didn’t want to have to make another move in that direction. I suppose it would be more Christ-like to be loving and be rejected than to not do anything. Thanks, Karl.

So I am on my way out to get a card to congratulate her on the baby. I don’t think they make any that say, “Hey congrats on having a baby out of wedlock and keeping the birth a secret from me.”

Yeah, that would go over great, huh? Wish me luck on finding something I can put my heart into.

Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.

No comments: