Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Closer Walk

Evening worship

Ryan, Andy and Kyle throwing frisbee

All I can say is that we survived the Closer Walk youth event at Wildwood. It was wild! Thursday wasn’t too bad as far as the weather goes. It was hot, but there was a nice breeze the whole time. And it cooled off considerably at night. I was freezing during the worship time. But then on Friday a little heat wave decided to move in and it was horrible. The heat index was 118! (found that out later). But man oh man was it hot. I got blisters on my feet from walking on the sand, and I was getting nauseous and dizzy. Ryan, and Kyle and I decided to go to the movies on the boardwalk to see Captain America, and I am so glad we did. I don’t think I would have made it back to the tents without getting sick. Then it was so cold inside the movie that I was shivering...I had a wet bathing suit...haha...nuts, I know, but that’s how it worked out. And because I was so exhausted I kept falling asleep during the movie, which was very cool by the way. But I will definitely have to see it again because I missed so much of it. Captain America is a really awesome hero. I think Spider Man has some serious competition now. Oh but wait, Jesus is My Super Hero! Haha!

Ok, aside from the obvious heat situation, the camping was much better than last year. The sand wasn’t all wet and muddy and there were no sand storms... still no way to avoid the sand from getting absolutely everywhere, but nowhere near as bad as last year.

I enjoyed the time with my boys, although I think they would have preferred to have had more time to hang out with the younger kids (especially Kyle). His favorite part of the trip was just being with one of the young boys the last night we were there. That is what he loves, to be a friend and mentor to young people. I think Ryan’s favorite part was dancing at worship time, and meeting Beckah Shae. He even got to go up on stage with a bunch of others who wanted to dance to one of her songs. Her music was really good. I also enjoyed talking to people that I ordinarily wouldn’t have the opportunity to talk to. It's a good way to have a conversation of more than "how are you?" at church meet and greet time.

We were all thankful for the experience but we were ready to come home Saturday morning!!
walking on the boardwalk

hazy evening



ps, i think my beef jerky was successful :D

Psalm 93:4
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea—
the LORD on high is mighty.

No comments: