Monday, October 25, 2010

was blind but now I see...



Children’s Church yesterday was great! I used a “sinner” pumpkin as an object lesson. It actually came from a cute email that I received from my mom and my sister. It goes like this:

Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you in, and washes all the dirt off of you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out all the yucky stuff-- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light inside you to shine for all the world to see.

So, I carved up the pumpkin in front of the kids while telling the story of how we ALL start out as sinners. I removed all the “sin” (yucky stinky seeds and guts) just like God removes our sin when He forgives us. We talked about how God opens our eyes to the scriptures so we are able to understand the Bible, and how we are to shine our lights before men (Matt. 5:16). When I got done with the messy part, Kyle put a candle inside the pumpkin and we sang This Little Light of Mine. It was fantastic. All 6 kids (I think) raised their hands to accept Jesus as their Savior. Of course we don’t always know what a child understands or believes, but even if 1 kid got saved today, it was 1 soul that is not going to be separated from God for eternity. I praise God for that and pray that all the children believed!

And here is our newly "saved" pumpkin!

The one eye is droopy in this picture because one of the boys got ahold of the knife!

No comments: