Monday, August 30, 2010

Coming full circle



When I began my children's home education I chose a curriculum called Christ-Centered Curriculum. I loved it because it is rooted in scripture. It began with the premise that God's truth is first in our lives, and that all education should have a Biblical basis. When we learned numbers, for example, we started with "one". One God. Then "two" was something else, all the way to "ten", with each number representing a Biblical idea. It showed that numbers were created by God for a specific purpose. There is nothing random about them, but that all things created by God are done orderly, and for a purpose.

Today as I sat in Baker Chapel I thought how appropriate it should be that God directed my son to go to Grace Bible College. As President Kemper pointed out, Grace Bible College is first about GRACE, God's amazing grace that we need to never take for granted. It is grace that separates Christianity from all other religions. It is grace that says there is nothing we can do to earn salvation. It is a free gift, but it cost God His only Son.

Grace Bible College is secondly Bible-based, meaning that all that is taught or learned there is done from a biblical standpoint, whether it's music, business, or whatever. There is no separating our life education from our Bible education.

Thirdly GBC is a college, where students will be challenged, and they will work hard.

Today was a day of great blessings as I looked around at where my son will be living and growing for the next year, and possibly the next four years. What a wonderful community, a family that will take my son, and care for him nearly as much as I do, and train him up the same way that I started out all those years ago: Christ-centered!

I had the honor of meeting President Ken Kemper today. What a wonderful man. He assured me that he would look after Ryan, and he gave me a comforting hug right before I walked away. That meant so much to me!

So, here I am, typing this on my IPhone as we head back to Canton, with puffy eyes from crying, knowing that Ryan is out of my hands; that whatever I did to teach him has to be enough because I'll never get the days back.

It's time to let him go and let him soar with God. I miss him so much already.

Father, please take extra special care of him.

No comments: