Wednesday, July 9, 2014

first open mic at The Canal House

Our first open mic at The Canal House went super well.  It had been 2 weeks since we went there to inquire about singing, and we weren't positive if Dave (the open mic manager guy) would even remember us.  Well, he did, and he even remembered we were coming last night and he remembered to bring 2 mics for us.  So, he let us do our set as soon as we got there.  I was happy there weren't too many people there, and even though I had practiced our songs, I was still nervous.  I mean, it was a bar after all, and let's not forget we were singing Christian lyrics.  As it turned out, Dave and his side-kick Doug (both musicians, and both Christians) loved the whole message we presented and we were told that in today's spiritual climate, this is what's needed.  Our message brought hope and light.  They loved it so much they invited us to come back every Thursday night.  I think there will be more people on a Thursday night.  Dave said we could do the same set as last night, or something different, it didn't matter.  And we are totally allowed and encouraged to sing our contemporary Christian songs.  

Our videos and our songs aren't perfect... in fact I hope to get better videos tomorrow night.  But this is our memory for our first open mic, and that is the important thing.  I'm grateful that Darryl took videos for our memories.

These videos are in the order we did them.  I chickened out playing guitar, so Ryan played for me.  Kyle did a fabulous job on his new djembe!

This first one is a combination of Oceans (a bit of a peppy version) and Worn.



This one is called Speak Your Word. It's a Ryan original.

This is a spoken word called My Heart Is Ticking, written by Ryan.


This one is called Here.  It is one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar.


Another one of Ryan's new songs called Here Goes Nothing.


You Won't Relent

Dance With Me


Last song, called Tears Of The Saints

Yeah, I was pretty nervous.  But still glad I did it.  Glad that God used it!  That is the important thing.  Even so, I hope that tomorrow night's goes even better.

No comments: