Monday, September 12, 2011

helping Samaritan's Purse

Today was quite a different kind of day. I decided to go help Samaritan's Purse with the gutting of homes in Wayne and the surrounding area that were affected by floods. I left my house at 6:45 am, got home at 3:30 pm. I could have stayed longer but I didn't want to spend another hour and 20 minutes in traffic, so I left early. I was beat!! (Still recuping from cruise). This first picture is showing where I parked my car, there is a fence there that was covered with flood debris that washed up. You can also see piles of discarded household items in the yard.
This is the kitchen after it was gutted completely. I felt so sorry for the home-owner because she is still living in the house. She had no door on her bathroom, so I rigged up a curtain for her. This home was built as a summer home and when we tore the walls out we found that there was no insulation at all. So, when it is rebuilt is will be nicer! I talked to her about my experience when my home had to be gutted and rebuilt after our fire. Wanted to let her know I kinda understand what she is going through.

This is the river right out her back porch.
Another room we gutted with a couple of the ladies I worked with.
It was quite an experience to go and help today. Even though I was dead tired, I'm glad I got myself out of bed to help. I looked at that woman and her home and I thought, "That could be me." I have been in similar situations where no one has helped me and I was glad that I had been through it. Thankful for the experience. Like the Bible says, in 2nd Corinthians 3:3


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.

I got tired, sore, dirty, and sweaty, but it was all worth it. I am going back tomorrow.

1 John 3:17
But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

Oh yeah...edited to say: The boys are doing great. Talked to them on the phone today. It seems they gave a homeless man a good sum of money to get him started off. They used it as an object lesson on God's grace. The amount of money he needed was something he couldn't pay, just like we can't pay for salvation. It's a free gift given by grace alone. This man couldn't pay it so my boys did. They preached the gospel to him, took him shopping, and gave him the money he needed, all to show God's love. They are amazing.

No comments: