Friday, September 16, 2011

flood's aftermath

This week has been crazy. I worked with Samaritan's Purse 4 days. It was a struggle to go back each day. I dreaded it on one hand, but found it rewarding on the other. The drive to Wayne each day really stressed me out. There is a lot of construction on 80 and the traffic is horrendous! Then when I get there I have mixed feelings about whether I should be there or not. It's like, yes I know I'm doing a good thing, but hey come on, I have a life and I need to get other things done. Like maybe stay home once in a while and get house work done, or just relax... But when I walk into a house that has been flooded I get flooded with emotions that I'm not used to feeling. It's so dreadful to see what these people are living with. Most of them are living in their homes while they are being gutted and rebuilt. They have so very little left. Their living conditions are incredibly horrible. The stench of mold and rotting insulation is enough to make me gag. It's such a heart breaking reality that people have to live that way right in our own church community. I am trying to help but it is overwhelming. I do as much as I can but never quite feel that it is enough.

In this picture is a dear man named Peter. He adores me! I think he has become my new grandfather. I took him a lunch today because I don't think he has been eating. I will keep in touch with him, and others I have met this week.




Next week I will be temporarily moving into the parsonage so I won't have to make the drive to Wayne in the early morning traffic. I really need to go help for the last week of work there. I am good at it and I think they like having me there.

God, give me strength!

Psalm 93:3
The floods have lifted up, O LORD,The floods have lifted up their voice; The floods lift up their waves.

No comments: