Tuesday, January 18, 2011

renovations of the heart

My amaryllis is about ready to burst! It’s gonna be great!

Darryl had to rip down the light that he just put up in the bathroom because he wants to raise it up a bit. Otherwise the bulbs hang down too far and reflect off the mirror and blind me. So now there is no light in there at all. Ok, moving on… he took the fan down from the kitchen and made the hole in the ceiling bigger. He got the track up for the new lights and I am happy to report that I do now have SOME light over my counter where I do my prep work. We are going to add 2 pendant lights. It has been a new experience to be able to stand facing the counter straightaway rather than have to turn on an angle so that I get some light from behind me. I can actually see what I’m doing now. It is wonderful! So now he only has to finish the light in there, take the fan down again and patch the sheet rock, and then put the fan back up again. Well I THINK he is putting it back up. After like 3 years he is now telling me he has always hated it, so we’ll see what happens with that. Here’s what it looks like. And here’s what it looks like in our dining room. Hopefully the sun will come out long enough for Kyle to record some videos. Tonight Darryl began the installation process of a new fan and light in the living room. That will be nice because I like to sit out there to read.

So I’ve been thinking a lot about relationships lately: how they started, how they have changed over time, where they have ended up. Sometimes we have to ask ourselves if they are balanced, or out of whack. Sometimes we find that we give way more than we ever get back, and so we realize things aren’t the way we thought. And then other times we realize we need to give more of ourselves. We need to be more patient, more loving, more forgiving. It seems almost always that the more we invest in people’s lives, the more it hurts.

I just finished the book of Judges. Pretty gross stuff. I’m looking forward to the psalms.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Ephesians 4:2

Yeah, I need to work on that.

Full moon tomorrow. Watch out!

No comments: