Monday, May 17, 2010

The Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End

Isaiah 53:5 But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned, every one, to his own way;
And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.



Found out that my physical therapist is Jewish and his wife is Catholic. That made for some very exciting discussion during my treatment today.

Let’s see. He believes in mediums. He told me of his experience with one that was amazingly accurate and a bit scary.

I asked him if Jews believe in Hell. He says everyone can believe whatever they want. I said, “Isn’t that a little dangerous?” He said yes. I told him that Christianity knows the answer about hell and how to stay out of it. So then I asked him if his wife believes that Jesus’ death on the cross paid for her sins. He said yes. Then I asked him what does he make of Jesus? Does he believe He paid for his sins too? He said no. He believes that Jesus was only the Son of God. So, according to him, Jews are praying to God, but we (Christians) are only praying to God’s Son. I found that very interesting. I’d never heard that before. I told him that the only way to the Father is through the Son.

I feel sorry for his daughter. His great spiritual plan for her is to teach her about his Jewishness and have his wife teach her about Catholicism. And then when she is old enough, she can decide for herself which religion she chooses. What a great place to leave your child! “Here, kid. You decide what’s best for you. I’ll just take a back seat on this one. Makes no difference if hell is real. It’s all up to you, and your own reality.”

And this is a Dad who thinks he’s doing a good job. My heart was breaking.

I’m not sure what I will say to him next time, but I’m trusting Jesus Christ (God Himself) to help me out with it.

No comments: