Thursday, April 8, 2010

If you want a friend, be a friend

note to self:

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

This morning, I was reminded that there are people at church who love me, and care about me and my family. (thank you, friend)

“If you want a friend, be a friend”

This is good advice and I’ve heard it often. I thought I was doing that, but I didn’t stick to it. And that’s the reason for my 'note to self' above. I will try to be better about this and stop thinking about myself all the time. I need to look around and see who is hurting, who is lonely, who is in need of a friend. I will make an effort to reach out to others more than I have in the past. If I am rejected, I will try to remember that people who are hurting might react with bitterness towards me. I will do my best to see it for what it is and not take it personally. I will also try to remember that people may not be comfortable with a woman at church without her husband.

That’s a tall order, but I will do my best with God’s help. I know now that I don’t need to wait for Nashville to see that I am blessed to have a grace church to call my home. I fought too long and too hard to be there, so the option of going back to where I was is not an option at all. This I am sure of. I’m thankful that my pastor is such a great teacher and role model when it comes to patience, kindness, and forgiveness. I have so much to learn from him. Some day when I grow up, I want to bear good fruit too.

Sometimes when I get bummed out I just need a hug.


There! I feel so much better.


Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
Colossians 3:12

No comments: