Tuesday, March 15, 2011

these are a few of my favorite things

Basil and Thyme

Rosemary

Oregano

Did you know that if you buy basil at the grocery store it comes with roots attached? I was so excited when Darryl bought this for me a couple weeks ago. I saw those roots and I’m like, “I’ve got to plant this!” So in it went with the Thyme in my family room. Now I have Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Oregano, Parsley, Sage, Chives, and one other that I can’t remember. But how cool is that to have my herbs growing in the winter?? They are growing better indoors than they did all summer on my deck. I have decided that I will keep them in the house all the time. Haha! The only thing I’m missing that I really want is dill. I wish I had fresh dill! Mmm I love that.

I was looking up information about rosemary. I discovered it has potential health benefits, as I’m sure most herbs do. So I decided to make some tea out of it today. Among other things, it is supposed to help in weight loss because it is supposed to suppress hunger. Well, it works. I guarantee if you drink a few cups of this a day you will be too sick to eat anything. I don’t know how anyone drinks it. It was so disgusting it made me nauseous. Haha… yep that’s how it controls your hunger… Works well.

Maybe I’ll make some rosemary oil out of it next time, use it for cooking.

On Thursday I’m going to plant some seeds that I saved from some of our vegetables. I have no idea if they will grow, but I figured why waste money on seeds when they are free in the food we eat? Can’t wait to see what happens. Also on Thursday Kyle and Darryl are going to Vermont for a few days to ski. I’m so excited for them. I know they will have a fantastic time!

Tomorrow is a work day at church for me. Kyle gets to tag along and do school work and help out at CBC. Fun.

No comments: