Sunday, March 1, 2015

I Lift My Hands




Yeah, so technically, we don't raise our hands to believe again... but you know, sometimes song lyrics are there to guide you... either into a truth, or into a revelation, or as a reminder... of something you already knew.  Whatever it may be.  I'm not opposed to lyrics that aren't 100% theologically accurate, as some have said about Oceans.  I feel it is a good thing, not a bad thing, to stretch our faith and to step out into unknown waters, even deep waters when we are trusting solely on Jesus Christ as our life preserver.  We don't always know what we are getting into when we follow and trust Christ.

So, obviously we don't raise our hands to "believe again" but I won't be mad at Chris Tomlin for these lyrics.  When my Dad died, it was so hard to believe that I could ever smile again.  It seemed impossible.  But then the impossible happened.  I WAS able to believe again...in the impossible, in the unlikely.  I was able to sing praises to a good and loving and compassionate God who is so far beyond anything that I can ever think or imagine.  So, for those reasons I am totally OK with the lyrics to this song.

Was it perfect?  No...but it's ok.  It went very well, and I believe that people may have been blessed by it, and God was glorified.  That is all that matters.

No comments: