Thursday, April 18, 2013

goodbye ugly kitchen!

It is such an odd feeling to see my kitchen being destroyed before my very eyes. I am having trouble finding things so I walk around in a lot of dusty circles. There is a terrible smell coming up from the subfloor. It smells like the houses we tore apart with Samaritan's Purse that were flooded and had mold. It is a smell I'll never forget. It is nauseating. We are wondering if that is the mysterious thing that always made Kyle sick when he is here. We think that when the house was rebuilt after the fire, there was still a lot of bad wood that was left in the house and then just covered up. Can't believe what a terrible job the builders did when they put our house back together. So far, the floor in the foyer is up and mostly repaired. The closet, laundry room, bathroom floors are partially up. The floor in the kitchen is halfway done, and the cabinets are halfway up. The kitchen is shrinking as far as usable space. The rest of the house is also shrinking as far as usable living space. Stuff is everywhere, even worse than the pictures I posted last time. There is a lot of noise, and we all seem to be coughing, have headaches, and today my throat is sore. Whatever we are stirring up into the air is not good. Taking breaks outside has been a welcome relief. The men are somewhat behind schedule and there have been bouts of frustration, and some frayed nerves. But at the end of the day there was ice cream, so we are all still ready for another day. I fear I will lose my stove and sink soon. Trying to prepare myself for it mentally.

Oh, to top it off, the tile that I fell in love with has suddenly been sold out.  Some big industrial place came in and bought all of it! So, now we gotta try to find something else in a big hurry.  Everyone is trying to tell me that God has something better out there.. haha... yeah, we'll see.
ripping up the kitchen floor
foyer
strange being under the floor
patchwork
what's been removed
what remains

No comments: