Sunday, February 20, 2011

boasting about my weaknesses

Wow, where do I start? I have missed a lot of days. What on earth have I been doing? Oh yeah, taking care of the house, cooking, cleaning, bills, laundry, my son, my husband, bulletin, power point, children’s church, cbc, reading the Bible in 90 days, exercising... What have I forgotten? Oh, I know, babysitting... now that is something I haven’t done since I was a kid!

Hahaha... Things have been crazy. But I think it’s partly my own fault, because even when I don’t have any pressing issues, I work on things for the future. Like for example, I’ve already been looking for lesson ideas for Palm Sunday and Easter. I mean, what is it with me? Why do I do these things? Ok, I’ll tell you. I think it’s because I want things to be so good. I think that no matter what we do, we need to give it our best. Now, if I got up in the morning on a day I am teaching and I have nothing prepared, what good am I? I don’t believe in flying by the seat of my pants. I believe that if I am going to teach children, I need to have it firm in my mind what I want to say so they’ll understand it, otherwise I waste my time. But more importantly they don’t grow in the Lord.

It is so weird to me when I see God working in my life. Who would have ever thought that I would want to be around a bunch of kids? Not me, that’s for sure. Isn’t it just like God to stick you somewhere that you are the weakest? Same with home schooling. Why on earth would God want me to home school my kids when He knows that is my greatest weakness? I hated school with a passion! I dropped out of school!! I didn’t know how to teach anything!! I did not know how to stay home and take care of kids at all. I never did it before. I always had a job. Life is so much easier if you can just leave the house and go to work and give your kids to someone else to deal with, right? Oh, but God was so good to me when He put a burning desire in me to do something I was incapable of doing. And I’m so glad He did. It wasn’t easy. In fact it was the most difficult thing I have ever done. But it was also the best investment I could have made in their lives. No job could have paid me enough to take those years with my boys away from me.

God’s word says that His power is made perfect in our weakness. I am living proof of that. I think if you ever want to be used by God and you are sincere in that desire, you better watch out because He will plunge you into the very thing you really suck at so that you can’t get any of the glory for doing it. I am nothing without His strength. Whatever “success” we had in home schooling was all by God’s grace.

So...I gave my testimony at church today. I was so nervous I was practically hyperventilating. But God got me through it! And I’m so glad too, because I was not in the mood for a meltdown.

I am halfway through Isaiah!

Ryan shaved off the “beard”! I can see his face again!

Kyle bowled! And he totally loved it.

And both of them have enjoyed going to basketball games for the first time in their lives.

And like I mentioned at the top, I babysat for Ben and Isaac. I think they are my buddies now.

New adventures on the horizon:
I am teaching the Bible lesson at CBC this week, and doing music.
I am becoming an actual secretary at church this week. haha...

Oh goody!! More challenges!

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: