Monday, January 30, 2012

getting on the Romans road

I’ve been taught that using the Romans road to salvation was the best way to evangelize to someone. Well, I was talking to an old childhood friend recently about salvation. As kids and teenagers we were inseparable, even went to the same church growing up. I started out by explaining things with the Romans verses as I was shown; about how we are all sinners in need of a Savior, and how Jesus paid the penalty for our sin, and everything I could think of.

But as I was explaining things I realized by the look on his face that he wasn't wanting to hear this. I began to realize that it doesn’t matter what the Bible says unless the person first believes the Bible is God’s Word. The Bible is seen by many people as just an old outdated and dusty book that religious people read. Or maybe it is thought of as a rule book, or something people grab “positive” ideas from. But unless a person looks at scripture as truly being God-breathed, it is useless quoting it to them. They will just roll their eyes at you and want you to shut up.

So, I asked my friend, “Do you believe the Bible is God’s Word?” He said yes.

So, I said to him, “If you believe it is God’s word, then you have to believe what it says, otherwise you are calling God a liar.”

He said I made a good point! So, from there, I was able to go down the Romans road and to share what God’s word actually says about our sin condition, how we are all sinners, and how being "good" or being "spiritual" isn’t going to get us to heaven, but that it is a gift that Jesus died to give us when we place our faith in what He did, and how Jesus said He is the ONLY way to the Father. I shared what a person must do (believe) to be saved.

I found it much easier to share scripture by starting out with the premise that the Bible IS God word, and it is the TRUTH. Without that truth to stand on, the Bible just becomes a meaningless book of poetry and stories, with a lot of drama and adventure, and some crazy imagery thrown in.

My friend didn’t get saved that day, but I was able to put forth God's Word to listening ears.

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 4:25
He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.

Acts 16:31
“Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

2 Corinthians 6:1
I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.



Listen, God is speaking to YOU!

1 comment:

kyle said...

I'm proud of you, awesome work.