Friday, November 11, 2011

Kids aren't monsters!

Kids are God’s most precious gifts! There is no greater gift than our children, so why do the majority of parents find humor in saying rotten things about them? I just don’t get it, especially when Christians do it. Do they think it’s cute to call them names and complain about them all the time? Why did they have kids?

I just can’t help wondering how it makes those kids feel when their parents say unkind things about them or make jokes at their expense. As a child, it would make me feel unloved and unwanted. I would think “why did my parents have me if they didn’t want me?” Imagine going through life feeling like your parents don’t want to be with you. When they grow up they will always remember those hurtful words (“I can’t wait till they go to school”, “I can’t wait till they move out”, “I need to get away from them!”, “Hey does anybody want my kids?”) The parents might be "joking", but what small child is going to understand that? It’s no wonder we have a society of people feeling unloved and unworthy. It’s because the first thing parents do these days is find ways of getting rid of their kids. When they are little they are pawned off on others so the tired little mommy can get some sleep. Then when they are toddlers, the mommy doesn’t have time for them. She never learned to manage her time because she was used to others doing the work for her. By the time they start school, she gets irritated having them around because she sees them as a nuisance. Yes, that’s the way it goes. Mommy’s needs come first.

I was talking to my husband about this the other day. I asked him, “When our boys were little, did I ever complain to you that I was tired? Even once?”

Where did women come up with this scheme to blame all their so-called “tiredness” on their kids?

He said, “Nope, honestly I don’t remember you ever complaining of being tired from taking care of the boys.”

I never wanted to be away from them. If my husband took them out for a couple hours I would miss them terribly! If there was a party we were invited to and they didn’t allow kids to go, we didn’t go. We didn’t go on vacations without them. And most importantly, we never bad-mouthed them or ridiculed them. We didn’t go around telling people how awful they were or how exhausting it was to be their parent. Listen parent, if you are tired of trying to control your kids, maybe it’s because you didn’t take the time to train them up. Instead, they have you trained!

What is wrong with me? I just adore my kids, and always have!! Do women today just have a problem with taking care of their families? Why do they put themselves first above their kids and their husbands? That’s not the way God wanted it. Wives, you are to take care of your husbands! Mothers, you are to take care of your own kids, not look for pity that they are your kids. They are your responsibility, not your husbands.

Do you know that bedtime is one of the most wonderful times of the day? Do you spend quality time with them or do you rush them off without a hug or gentle word? What a great time to love on them and pray with them and cuddle with them, and make sure that when they fall asleep, they know how much they are loved by you.

I wasn’t the best mom, far from it. But one thing I did right was that I loved my kids every day and they knew it. Not because I said “I love you” even though I did, but because I was with my kids by choice. They always knew I loved them. There was never any doubt or insecurities. There was never a need to prove anything, because they had my approval. Just think of how much less our kids would be pressured by peers if they had their parent’s unconditional love and support. And part of that love is shown by having boundaries, not by letting the kids rule the house, which is so common today. Sometimes I see moms and I just want to shake them and tell them to grow up.

Ok that’s my rant for today, and a major pet peeve of mine.

Here are my beloved and wonderful gifts from God, whom I cherish with all my heart! The only hand I will entrust them to is the merciful hand of my Savior, Jesus Christ.


Psalm 127:3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.

No comments: