Thursday, May 12, 2022

Our funny farm

It's funny because we live in a "fancy" gated community, and yet Darryl is out there driving around on his Kubota and cutting down this huge tree.  We are going to replace it with 3 fruit trees.  So far we have 2 apple trees and one cherry tree.  We'll see what the future holds.

This is the monster River Birch.  The people who lived here before us planted about a dozen of them.  We already got rid of 3 of them; this is the 4th to go.  We still have several more in the front yard.  

One-third of it down...

Two-thirds of it down...

We all forgot to take pictures from Mother's Day, so here is one I took later.  This is a beautiful bouquet that Ryan got me.  (A Joyful Heart 💜)

Last third down...had to drop it in our neighbor's yard.   Later on we will get a wood chipper and use the wood for mulch.  Darryl didn't lose any toes even though he was using the chain saw in bare feet.

Yesterday I made dandelion tea.  I probably forgot to mention that I also made some salads with the leaves.

Oopsy, I waited a little too long to repot this one.  Poor thing.  

This is the Elephant Ear plant that Kyle & Hilary got me.  Very cool self-watering pot too! 

Today I made pine needle tea.   It has more vitamin C than a lemon.  It also has vitamin A.  Good thing I have lots of pine trees.  😋

This is a wind chime that Darryl got me for Mother's Day, even though he already gave me a humming bird ornament!  I love this.  It sounds amazing.  It feels right at home in my garden.

Here's some of my garden.  I planted 2 blueberry bushes, tomatoes, jalapeños, peas, beans, radishes, turnips, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, asparagus... and I forget what else.  I'm just trying out some different things this year.  I want to make our yard more edible instead of just having pretty plants. 

Our gazebo has 4 planters, so I'm trying some veggies in those too, instead of flowers.

 
Here's the beautiful humming bird ornament.

We are having a temporary hot spell right now.  It was 91 yesterday...our pool is not ready yet.  But sooooon!!!  I love how our yard is reflecting our tastes more than it did when we moved in.  I love that we are trying to grow our own food.  At least some of it.  This is a great adventure!  Praise God that we are able to plant things.  

1 comment:

Ryan Vegh said...

Very fun things! :)